Recent Storm Damage Posts
We Offer Reconstruction Services for Storm Damage!
Did you know that SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford provides Reconstruction services? In addition to our water, fire, mold and storm restoration services, our franchise is proud to hold an entire Reconstruction division as well. Through this department, we finish what was started during any size disaster for your home or business.
During the storm of Hurricane Isaias, our mitigation crews worked tirelessly to recover hundreds of properties from the severe storm damage that occurred. Our storm restoration crews successfully mitigated, dried and treated the affected areas of all locations affected. We removed drywall and other portions of walls, ceilings and flooring as needed in order to prevent the damages from growing worse.
Once this initial process was done, many of these customers asked our Reconstruction team to restore the damaged areas. This division utilized our range of services including roof repair, floor and carpet repair, and painting in order to fully make each building affected by storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford's storm restoration team and Reconstruction Department are proud to work side by side in order to help with the damages of any size water, fire, mold or storm disaster. We offer 24/7 emergency response to storm events including hurricanes and flooding. Give us a call at 610-268-8620 to learn more about our entire range of services!
Stormwater can be a significant problem for your home or business if left unnoticed. A large collection of rain can cause areas of a building to flood or cause structural damage to a roof as well as foundation issues. Septic systems can also be negatively affected by this, leading to a health hazard.
- Ensure that your septic system and water source is not affected and is indeed safe to use.
- Inspect your property for signs of damage including flooding and land erosion. These issues will only get worse if they are not properly maintained and resolved.
- Check that your drainage system is properly working in your yard. A collection of stormwater is not only dangerous to your structural property, the water can become full of contaminants and debris that are unsafe to enter or surround the building.
Stormwater and other storm damages can be overwhelming and cause more destruction than what is expected. It is critical to inspect your property for signs of these damages in order to prevent a larger water damage issue. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford offers full services in storm damage cleanup and restoration.
We also offer storm and biohazard services for disasters involving sewage and other dangerous contaminants that need to be properly mitigated by a team that is professionally certified. Our crew is IICRC-certified to do so, and we are ready to take on any extent of water or storm damage!
Are You Covered for Storm Damage?
Torrential downpours, strong winds or a sudden burst of lightning can all lead to storm damage to your home or business. While there are many steps we can take to eliminate the severity of a storm-related risk, often the damage is unavoidable. It is critical to not only prepare for the storm itself but also for what becomes of your property once the skies clear. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind you to please review your insurance policy and coverage with your agent in order to ensure you are protected when it matters the most.
- Discuss the details of your coverage with your insurance company. While many agencies do cover wind damage, some do not. In addition, water damage is often not covered, despite what you may think. If you live or work in an area that is prone to flooding, this is something you should be aware of and discuss with your agent. You should also discuss your deductible and if you have adequate financial coverage in the event of a storm.
- After the storm, you are asked to do what is necessary to prevent further damage to your property. This pertains to simple solutions outside of what a professional can do to help. Your insurance agency will cover temporary repairs to the building, but neglect will not work in your favor nevertheless. Please be sure to do what they ask before help arrives.
- Taking the necessary precautions before the storm is also a great way to help with storm damage. Old tree limbs and broken roof shingles are two factors that can pose a risk during strong winds or rainfall.
- Insurance companies also recommend that you make a log and take photos of important items that may need replacing during a storm event. Critical items and files should be placed in an area where they can be taken at a moment’s notice in an emergency.
During this hurricane season, please speak with your insurance agent regarding your policy and coverage. Being prepared will help lessen the stress and financial aspects of your storm damage. Should you experience a storm event, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is ready to help at a moment’s notice! Our 24/7 emergency response team can help to prevent further storm damage shortly after we receive the call for help. We offer immediate services for fire, water and storm damage in our local Pennsylvania area.
An Overflow of Hurricane Storm Damage
Along with many other franchises on the East Coast, our franchise in Pennsylvania stayed busy with over 500 calls for storm damage due to Hurricane Isaias. Our team was still feeling the effects from the storm for a couple months as more calls continued to come in. One of those calls was from a homeowner in Downingtown who called a month after the hurricane for more immediate assistance.
Due to the extensive storm damage and how long the water and debris was left in the basement, this was a fairly large remediation project for our crew, much like some of the other properties we saw right after the storm hit.
We also were very much needed at one of our local educational institutions recently. In just over a week, water damage had occurred twice in the same building and we went out immediately both times to perform remediation before the problem could get worse. We were happy to help get these locations back to normal and create positive experiences for both circumstances.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is always prepared to help in the event of damages due to storms, flooding, fire and more. We offer 24/7 emergency services to our local home and business owners and can take on any size disaster. For more info, give us a call at 610-268-8620!
The Aftermath of Hurricane Isaias Storm Damage
Our Storm Restoration team has been extremely busy helping to restore many homes and businesses in our local area after the damage that Hurricane Isaias left behind. In addition to power outages and dangerously flooded roads, the massive rain and winds caused many homeowners and businesses to experience overwhelming water damage. We received over 500 calls for storm damage including issues with flooded basements, failed sump pumps and sewage backups.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford was happy to step up to help our local community with this high impact storm. Over four weeks after the initial storm, we are continuing to work countless hours to help restore every customer’s property and are still receiving calls for damages. Our Reconstruction Department is also at maximum capacity in order to repair the destruction and make each customer’s particular disaster “Like it never even happened.”
When storms happen, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is proud to assist our local community when it is needed the most. Should another storm invade our area during hurricane season, we will be prepared to help when the skies clear.
Storm Damage in Kennett Square Home
Our storm restoration team recently completed water mitigation for a home in Kennett Square after a heavy rainstorm. The rain had entered the property and flooded their basement. Some of their contents were affected as well. This is often an overwhelming situation for our customers, and one that we strive to make better.
Our crew visited the property immediately to start the water cleanup and restoration process. Once we had removed the debris and extracted all signs of water from the basement, we used a large sum of equipment in order to fully dry the affected areas. Twelve air movers and two dehumidifiers were placed in the basement for over two days, in order to ensure no water or future mold damage would occur. We then cleaned the floor with our anti-microbial cleaning agent and left the basement good as new.
When it comes to storm damage, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is happy to help! In addition to services in fire, water and mold damage, we also offer reconstruction services and can help in the event of roof damage and other storm-related events. Please give us a call for more information at 610-268-8620.
Storm Damage in Oxford Home
This kitchen floor had to be removed and restored after the home in Oxford had experienced extensive storm damage. Rain water had made its way through the homeowner’s glass door and into this space. Water had also leaked into the basement. Our storm restoration professionals visited the property immediately to assess the damages and start restoring the property.
We completed a thorough inspection of the water damage in order to determine the extent of damage and perform proper restoration techniques. We also checked for moisture and eliminated all signs of water to ensure there would be no further water or mold damage. We then used our specialized equipment including our advanced air movers to dry the affected areas. These were placed in the home for two days to ensure the structure would be fully dry. Once the kitchen floor and basement were dry and had been cleaned, the home was free of water damage.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford was happy to help restore the home after this unexpected disaster. Storm damage often causes water and mold issues for homes and businesses, and we are always prepared to help when this happens. If you experience storm damage, contact us at 610-268-8620 to learn more about our services.
Preparing for Winter Storms
With winter approaching, it is important to prepare your home or business from the cold temperatures and risks that come with this season. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford helps to restore properties from winter storm damage due to some of these risks. We have outlined steps from Agility Recovery that you can take to prepare your property for the winter months and ensure the safety of yourself and others.
Before a winter storm, you should:
- Create a supply kit of needed materials such as salt and snow removal equipment.
- Identify and plan for risks such as loss of heat.
- Seal any openings with caulking and insulation.
- To prevent drafts, repair any areas that may let cold air into the property.
During and After a winter storm:
- Remove snow and ice from your driveway and sidewalks.
- Open faucets so that the water can drip; this prevents the water from freezing in the pipes.
- After the storm, inspect your property for any damages and remove further signs of snow and ice for safety.
- Inspect your heating systems to ensure they are working properly.
Storm damage caused by winter events can lead to devastating issues, such as water damage, but SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is here to help! This winter, our storm damage restoration professionals will be “Ready for whatever happens.”
Preparing After The Storm
SERVPRO wants to remind you that when it comes to storm damage, it is just as critical to prepare before and after a storm.
Storms are nothing to take lightly, especially when it comes to this time of year with hurricane season still in full swing. Heavy winds and rain can cause extensive damage to your property including water damage and structural damage to name a few. However, issues with your home or building can also be a problem after a storm has left its mark. When you have a water damage event, you may think that the problem is gone once the water is removed from the structure. Unless all signs of water are completely diminished, that is not always the case and mold may begin to grow. Therefore, it is critical to have a water restoration professional complete the water mitigation process for you when disaster strikes.
When water is not fully removed from a property and takes hold inside your walls, mold growth will appear. To prevent further damages to your home or business after a storm, you should follow these precautionary steps outlined by CertainTeed:
- Dry the areas right away to lessen the damage.
- Check for musty odors that can be a sign of mold damage.
- Inspect the exterior of your home or building and drain any excess water that has accumulated around the property. This is important, since water outside can lead to mold that can spread into the inside of the property.
- Replace materials that are wet or can’t be fully dried with materials that are less prone to mold.
These steps are critical in preventing even more damage after a storm. At SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford, our water, mold and storm restoration professionals are prepared for any size disaster. We have seen minor problems become much worse issues for homeowners due to unknown circumstances with the water in their homes. By following these precautions after storm damage, your home or business will remain dry and mold-free.
Storm and Emergency Preparedness Presentation
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford recently hosted a Lunch and Learn on Business Emergency Preparedness at the Chester County Public Safety Training Campus. We were happy to partner with the Chester County Department of Emergency Services and the Western Chester County Chamber of Commerce on this important presentation.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford specializes in fire, water and mold disasters and our DH Storm Team has even handled large storm events such as Hurricane Florence in the Carolinas. We brought our knowledge and expertise on emergency preparation to this business discussion and explained our Emergency Ready Profile to those who attended. The Emergency Ready Profile is a free app where we provide a digital file for local businesses to utilize in the event of an emergency.
Much of the presentation focused on storm emergency preparedness and how businesses can prepare for storms such as those we face during hurricane season. We also offered helpful information on how to prevent unexpected disasters such as fires.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford was thrilled to be able to help prepare some of our local businesses for storms and other emergencies that are similar to what we help restore every day. If you experience a storm disaster, call us at 610-268-8620.
This hotel was destroyed after Hurricane Florence. Our team helped to recover the damages.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is always prepared to help when a storm causes destruction in our local areas. Hurricane Season is still in effect until the end of November, so it’s important to be prepared for some of the damages that can come with it. Below are some important tips from the U.S. Small Business Administration on how to prepare if a hurricane strikes.
- Turn off all non-critical electrical devices and disconnect the main electrical feeds.
- Inspect and repair drains, gutters and flashing.
- Secure or relocate all outside equipment, signs, etc.
- Install windstorm shutters over windows and doors.
- Fill fuel tanks of generators and vehicles.
- Shut off the natural gas supply.
- Watch for roof leaks, pipe breaks, and fire or structural damage. Remain where you are safe from wind or flooding.
- Listen to radio or television updates on the storm.
- After the storm, do not enter any area until it is declared safe.
- Watch for safety hazards including flooded roads, live wires, leaking gas, and damage to the structure or piping.
- To prevent further damage, cover any broken windows or torn roof coverings. Clean roof drains and remove debris from the roof.
Although these types of storms are not always active in our local area, it is important to know what actions to take in case of an emergency. Our storm restoration professionals have responded to many storms along the East coast in order to aid in disaster recovery including Hurricane Florence in the Carolinas last year. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is always prepared for our local disasters.
Are You Prepared for Storm Damage?
Hurricane Season has begun, and it's important to be prepared for the damage it can bring. Hurricane Season runs from June 1st through November 30th. These high impact storms can sustain winds from 74 to 157 mph or higher and cause massive destruction. The threat of storm damage to your home or business is higher than ever during this time of year, and we want you to be prepared if disaster strikes.
Creating an Emergency First Aid Kit is always a smart move! The American Red Cross emphasizes what a First Aid Kit should include in preparation for a hurricane or other disaster. This Safety Guide provided by FEMA is also full of helpful tips on what you can do if you are in the area of a hurricane.
If you experience storm damage, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is prepared to help. Our DH Storm Team has the proper resources to respond to any size storm disaster. Click Here to learn more or call us at 610-268-8620.
Signs of Winter Storm Damage
With winter approaching, there’s often more to worry about than shoveling snow. Winter storms and temperatures can cause extensive damage to your home, but SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is ready to help if you experience a winter disaster from common issues including the following.
Brisk temperatures can cause pipes to freeze and break, which can lead to flooding in your home.
When snow melts unevenly and freezes at the edge of your roof, an ice dam is created which prevents melted snow from draining off of the roof. The water can then leak under the shingles and into the home and cause significant water damage.
Snow and ice can damage your roof and even cause the roof to collapse if enough weight has accumulated. Water can get into cracks and expand when it freezes, causing larger cracks.
Winter can be an extremely dangerous time for your home. Be sure to check the pipes and roof of your property for signs of potential water damage and warning signs. If you experience a storm disaster, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford can restore your home “Like it never even happened”. Call us at (610) 268-8620.
How to Stay Safe During a Winter Storm
The winter months are upon us. Winter storms are common this upcoming time of year and often threaten the safety of our families and homes. The American Red Cross offers helpful tips to remain safe during a snowstorm.
- Stay indoors and wear warm clothes.
- Listen to your local radio or television station to receive updates on the storm.
- Bring your pets inside before the storm.
- Conserve fuel by lowering the thermostat in your home.
- It is also helpful to close off unused rooms, place towels in cracks under doors, and cover the windows at night.
If you must leave your home during a winter storm,
- Wear layered clothing.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from the brisk air.
- Be aware of signs of hypothermia or frostbite.
- Look out for icy sidewalks.
- Use public transportation if possible.
Following these preventative actions will ensure you and your family’s safety during a snowstorm this season.
When a winter storm hits, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is “Faster to any size disaster”. Our storm restoration specialists can handle any size storm, and we offer 24/7 emergency services.
Preparing for Recovery Efforts
This hotel in the Carolinas was destroyed by Hurricane Florence.
This hurricane season is a busy one for SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford. Our DH Storm Team is still hard at work repairing the storm damage in the Carolinas and will be for months to come from the impact of Hurricane Florence. Meanwhile, we are on our way to help recover from Hurricane Michael, the strongest hurricane to hit the coast since 1898. With winds making impact at 155 mph and heavy flooding, many homes and buildings have been destroyed. This storm has left many Florida residents devastated without their homes and belongings, and recovery efforts will be extensive.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford, along with many of our other franchises, have been preparing for the impact of this storm’s destruction and are ready to help restore homes now that the skies are clear. Our restoration experts can handle any size disaster and are extensively trained in water restoration and other storm damage services. We understand that losing your home or property can be devastating, and we will be there to make the storm “Like it never even happened”.
Preparing for a Power Outage
Power outages are very common when it comes to storms. The American Red Cross encourages every household and vehicle to have an emergency kit during a power outage, but only 51.5% of US homes reportedly have one ready.
Power outage kits should include things like water, canned food, a can opener, flashlights, and batteries, including enough food and water for each person in your household for five days. To build a power outage kit, add the following:
- Plenty of bottled water
- Non-perishable food
- Battery-operated radio and clock
- Flashlight for each member of your household with extra batteries
- Non-electric can opener
- List of emergency phone numbers including family and friends
- First aid kit
The restoration experts at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford are highly trained to repair and restore your home from storm damage. We also offer an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for local businesses that includes emergency contacts, building access information and other necessary elements in case of an emergency.
Should a disaster or storm affect your home, contact us at (610) 268-8620. We offer 24-hour emergency service and are equipped for any size disaster.
SERVPRO Helping to Restore the Carolinas
Hurricane season is a busy time for SERVPRO. Along with many other of the company’s franchises, volunteers and crew from SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford have been working hard to restore what Hurricane Florence left in its wake in the Carolinas this September. Over 732,000 people were left without power (According to The New York Times) and tens of thousands of homes were damaged. To make matters worse, the extensive amount of rainfall and flooding caused even more destruction.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford raced to help residents of the area and are still actively working on restoring many homes from the aftermath of the storm. Due to the massive amount of destruction, we activated DH Storm Team. In all, our storm coordinator activated approx. 100 franchises in response of the hurricane. Crews are expected to be helping repair the damage in the Carolinas well into December. By the end of this year, we hope to begin restoring our customer’s homes and lives.
Every year parts of the United States, including the east coast, find themselves experiencing the high winds and heavy rain of a hurricane storm surge. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th. Being prepared for these storms is the key to your safety and in reducing damage to your home and business. Here are a few things that you can do to be prepared:
- Have a plan. Having a plan ready for what you need, how to get in contact with relatives and loved ones, and what you will do if evacuations are required. Planning can help to ensure you are ready regardless of if you leave your home or shelter in place during the storm. You can also visit FEMAs website for more information about putting together an emergency plan. (link https://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan)
- Have an emergency kit ready. Always make sure to have an emergency kit ready with supplies for sheltering in place or for evacuating the area if told to do so.
- Listen for weather reports and instructions. Paying close attention to the weather reports and instructions from local government can help to keep you and your family safe and prepared for the storm.
- Know how to turn off gas, electric, and water utilities in your home. Turning off the utilities can prevent further damage occurring in the event that you are required to evacuate.
- Property maintenance. Removing dead or damaged branches, repairing damaged gutters, or loose debris in the yard can prevent damage caused by debris becoming projectiles in the wind. Cleaning out clogged gutters can also prevent water damage.
- Stay updated on the storm. Listen for alerts and instructions from local officials on the news and radio. Also be sure to follow the instructions given to better ensure your safety.
- Avoid windows and glass doors during the storm. High winds can create projectiles that can shatter glass and harm occupants in the home.
- Stay inside during the eye of the hurricane. Hurricanes are a large circular storm system that rotate around a central eye. The eye may seem calm as if the storm has passed but the rest of the storm will shortly follow behind it.
- Check-in with family and friends. Check in on loved ones in the affected area and let those that you now outside of the area that you are safe. If land lines are down social media and texting may be more effective ways to make contact.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe. Never attempt to re-enter the area until the area has been cleared as safe.
- Avoid debris and downed power lines.
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock a person down, and one foot of fast-moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Take inventory of damage to your property. Photograph the damage in order to assist in filing an insurance claim.
- Prevent additional damage from occurring. Tarp or board up damaged roofs and windows. Your insurance may not cover additional damage that occurs after the storm has passed.