Preventing Fire Damage with Dry Conditions in Chester County
This spring, fire damage can often be a risk. Should you not be prepared, dry conditions and humidity can lead to an unforeseen disaster. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind you to please follow the proper safety precautions in order to keep your property safe from a fire-related event.
- Clear your yard, roof, deck and gutters of flammable materials that can set fire such as branches, leaves, and grass clippings.
- Trash and wood should be placed at least thirty feet away from your home.
- When cooking outdoors, maintain a ten foot distance between your grill and any trees or plants.
- Keep fire pits at a safe distance from your trees and home. They should not be in use during heavy winds.
- Be sure that the embers from grilling and fire pits are completely extinguished. This is particularly important during windy conditions where the embers can travel to the trees, plants or grass around your home.
- When using rags with chemicals such as paint, the NFPA recommends taking the rags outside to dry or placing them in a container with water and detergent to eliminate the oils. Should the oils in the rags be left to release heat indoors, the heat will then have nowhere to escape, leading to possible fire damage. They should also be kept away from heat sources such as sunlight.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is here to help when it comes to your residential or commercial fire restoration needs. We offer complete fire damage and reconstruction services in the event of destruction to your property. We also offer thorough services for your spring cleaning needs!