Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fire Safety for the Warm Weather!
As the warmer months continue, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind everyone to act safely while enjoying this time of year. The upcoming months can often lead to fire damage when particular procedures are not followed. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends following the steps below to ensure a fun and safe season!
- Check your grill for issues such as leaks before cooking outside for the season. Do not leave the grill unattended. Clean it regularly to remove the grease and fat that can potentially ignite.
- When having a bonfire, be sure to have a hose or bucket of water nearby in case of a sudden flare up. Ensure that all embers are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- All fire sources should be kept away from structures and tree branches in case of a sudden flame as well.
- Lawns should be maintained and clear of leaves and other materials that can burn.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford hopes that everyone enjoys the warmer weather! Should your property suffer fire damage to any extent, our fire restoration professionals can handle the cleanup. We provide services including smoke and soot removal, odor deodorization techniques, and demolition and reconstruction of the structure. Our team is here in our local community to help make your fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Preventing Fire Damage with Dry Conditions in Chester County
This spring, fire damage can often be a risk. Should you not be prepared, dry conditions and humidity can lead to an unforeseen disaster. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind you to please follow the proper safety precautions in order to keep your property safe from a fire-related event.
- Clear your yard, roof, deck and gutters of flammable materials that can set fire such as branches, leaves, and grass clippings.
- Trash and wood should be placed at least thirty feet away from your home.
- When cooking outdoors, maintain a ten foot distance between your grill and any trees or plants.
- Keep fire pits at a safe distance from your trees and home. They should not be in use during heavy winds.
- Be sure that the embers from grilling and fire pits are completely extinguished. This is particularly important during windy conditions where the embers can travel to the trees, plants or grass around your home.
- When using rags with chemicals such as paint, the NFPA recommends taking the rags outside to dry or placing them in a container with water and detergent to eliminate the oils. Should the oils in the rags be left to release heat indoors, the heat will then have nowhere to escape, leading to possible fire damage. They should also be kept away from heat sources such as sunlight.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is here to help when it comes to your residential or commercial fire restoration needs. We offer complete fire damage and reconstruction services in the event of destruction to your property. We also offer thorough services for your spring cleaning needs!
Fire Destroys Home in Chadds Ford
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is currently in the process of fully restoring a home in Chadds Ford after a substantial fire. The home’s stove had been filled with wood ashes that were left to burn out. Unfortunately, that was not the case and a fire had erupted, destroying the entire property.
Our cleaning and fire restoration professionals are continuing to remove all debris and content from the home. We dispose of all non-salvageable items, and clean and restore the items that haven’t been too severely damaged. During the restoration process, we will also complete fire damage services including smoke and soot removal, odor deodorization and reconstruction.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford provides a thorough and complete fire restoration process for those who are affected by any type of fire, smoke or soot damage. We help to restore your home or business from any size fire damage event. Our team has the expertise, equipment and resources to respond to your disaster faster!
Chimney Fire Damage Prevention
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford provides fire restoration services for Southern Chester County, no matter the extent of the damage. During the winter season, there are many potential risks for fire damage including the heat sources we use for our homes. One such fire hazard is a damaged or unmaintained chimney. We recommend following the below steps to prevent an issue with your chimney as well as the fire damage it can cause.
- Hire a certified professional to inspect and clean your chimney on an annual basis.
- Caps should be installed on all flues for your chimney. The caps will prevent dirt and debris from blocking the chimney as well as allow smoke to exit the system properly.
- Ensure that the caps are attached to the chimney correctly. Inspect for this issue annually and check that the covering on the caps is not allowing dirt and debris into the system.
- Inspect the chimney for loose or damaged components. Cracks or damaged caps can lead to a chimney fire, should the burning elements inside build up enough.
- Ensure that the chimney isn’t blocked by any objects or outdoor factors.
Hiring a professional to inspect, clean and maintain your chimney is a smart way to keep your home safe from fire damage. Chimney damage can also lead to smoke and soot damage in your home, which is often difficult to remove and can cause a more significant issue if you attempt to clean the areas improperly.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford has the expertise and equipment needed to remove and restore all signs of fire damage in your home. We provide demolition and reconstruction services, cleaning solutions, odor removal techniques and more in order to help eliminate all signs of damage that occurred.
Fire Safety During Winter Storms
This winter, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind you to stay safe and follow the proper safety procedures during a winter storm. According to the National Fire Protection Association, many residential homes suffer fire damage during the months of December, January and February. This is due to fire hazards such as portable heaters. There are several precautions you can take in order to remain safe this winter season.
- Ensure that your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working properly by checking them once per month. Change the batteries as needed in order to stop potential fire damage before it progresses.
- Generators should be used outdoors and kept away from windows and doors.
- Keep portable heaters away from flammable materials. Items such as clothing and curtains should be at least three feet away. Heaters should also be turned off when you leave the room.
- Prepare a fire evacuation plan for the home. There should be two options for escaping the premises.
- Prepare for a power outage and create an emergency kit including flashlights and blankets.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford provides fire damage services for residential and commercial properties. Should you suffer fire, smoke or soot damage due to a winter storm or other issue, our team can restore all fire damages to include reconstruction of what could not be salvaged. We thoroughly clean all surfaces, removing all signs of smoke and soot, as well as provide odor deodorization services to remove all odors and harsh pollutants in the space.
This fall, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind everyone to stay safe. Bonfires are very popular throughout Chester County this time of year, and it is important to follow the proper safety procedures to avoid a fire hazard.
- During heavy winds, do not light a bonfire since this can cause the sparks and flames to travel onto a property.
- Do not leave the fire unattended. Sudden flareups can occur, and they should be addressed immediately.
- A hose or other water source should be kept nearby in case the fire begins to drastically grow.
- Flammable materials such as aerosol cans should not be burned. Some chemicals can cause a fire to grow uncontrollably and create dangerous fumes.
- To keep control of the fire, add wood periodically.
- When putting out the fire, make sure the ashes are also cooled down and will not cause a fire hazard.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford hopes that everyone stays safe this fall. Following these safety procedures for a bonfire will help to keep you and your family safe.
Should you experience any type of fire, smoke or soot damage, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford offers 24/7 emergency services for our local Chester County area. We are always prepared for any size fire disaster!
Cleanup and Demolition of Fire Ravaged Home
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is currently performing fire cleanup and restoration services on a local home in Oxford. The property was left in shambles after a fire erupted in the garage. The garage was completely destroyed and left much of the house unrecognizable as well. One of our local insurance agents called us to assist with this devastation; our team visited the home immediately to provide Board-up services.
We then returned to remove the overwhelming amount of content in the Oxford home since this was also a situation where hoarding was involved. At this time, we are continuing to restore this property to preloss conditions. All fire-damaged content will be cleaned or exposed of. In addition, we will perform smoke and soot cleaning and odor removal services for the entire structure. Once the fire restoration process is fully complete, our Reconstruction Department can handle the rest in order to fully make this fire disaster “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford offers 24/7 emergency services for fire, water and mold disasters throughout Chester County. Our restoration and cleaning professionals are equipped with the proper knowledge, expertise and equipment in order to help restore any size loss or building in Pennsylvania. Should your home or facility suffer unexpected fire, water or mold damage, feel free to give us a call at 610-268-8620!
Fire Damage and Content Cleaning in Kennett Square
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford recently assisted one of our local residents after a large apartment fire in Kennett Square. This customer’s apartment had been one of many damaged by the fire, including a large portion of the contents inside. This included clothing and valuables that were left extensively damaged by smoke and soot.
Our cleaning and restoration team provided immediate services to this customer for content cleaning. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford specializes in treating and removing smoke and soot damage from surfaces and content after any size fire event. We also treat each affected item with our odor deodorization techniques in order to fully remove any signs of odor that are left behind. These completed procedures ensured that the customer’s items would be returned to him good as new and “Like it never even happened.”
In addition to providing smoke and soot cleaning for content, our fire restoration team also provides packout and storage services. However, we also can handle the entire restoration and reconstruction of a commercial structure. We are here to serve our Southern Chester County community, no matter how big or small that need may be!
Fire Damage at a Coatesville Apartment Complex
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford worked hard to fully restore an apartment complex in Coatesville after a substantial amount of fire damage. After a microwave malfunctioned on the fifth floor of the building, one unit was left severely damaged in addition to the unit below. Both units suffered extensive smoke and soot damage as well as water damage.
Our restoration team handled the complete fire restoration and water mitigation for the affected areas. We are currently in the Reconstruction phase of fully restoring the Coatesville building.
We also performed HVAC Duct cleaning for both units to remove the smoke odor from the fire damage in the ductwork. These services created a fully restored and clean space for the residents!
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford offers fire, water, mold and storm damage services to our local community in Southern Chester County. We are always prepared to help, and we offer 24/7 immediate assistance for your residential or commercial needs!
An Open Door Welcomes Extreme Fire Damage in Downingtown
These photos show the aftermath of a devastating fire in Downingtown. However, they also show how the difference of how an open or closed door can make a significant impact on the fire damage that is produced. While the one area was left severely damaged, another area of the home was left barely affected in the same property.
In the first photo, there is extensive fire damage in the entire room, including along the walls, ceiling and floor in addition to the contents in the area. The door was left open to this space. The second photo indicates minimal fire damage to the walls and structure. In this particular space, the door was closed off to the rest of the home and prevented the fire from producing drastic destruction.
Since a fire can happen when we least expect it, it is critical to always prepare for these disasters. By using doors to shut off each living area from the rest of a property, the fire, smoke and soot that is present will have a more difficult time reaching those areas.
A closed door lessens the oxygen to a fire which also prevents its strength and growth. It also adds a significant amount of time for those finding an escape route. It is recommended that you have an escape route in place in the event of an emergency.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford successfully cleaned and restored this Downingtown home to preloss conditions. These types of disasters are often overwhelming and stressful for those involved, so we hope that our local community continues to follow the proper safety procedures in order to prevent or limit the extent of fire damage encountered. Many of these safety guidelines can be found from the National Fire Protection Association. Should your home or business endure fire, smoke or soot damage, we’re here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Boiler Soot Damage in Kennett Square
Several of our SERVPRO vehicles were parked outside of this local farmhouse in Kennett Square after the homeowner experienced a boiler puffback. A puffback occurs when smoke or soot is released from a boiler or furnace after technical issues with the system. The oil in the boiler had built up and caused soot to then burst out of the system and into the home, leading to extensive soot damage.
Often, this type of soot damage leads to carbon chains, which look like cobwebs in your home. Soot damage can be tricky to clean, since improperly attempting to do so can lead to smearing or further soot damage. We recommend that you hire a certified professional in order to remove all signs of soot damage from all surfaces.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford uses specialized cleaning techniques including our advanced odor deodorization services to eliminate all signs of soot odor. In addition to smoke and soot cleaning, we offer complete fire cleanup and restoration services including roof tarping, reconstruction services and ozone treatment for eliminating odors in extreme cases.
Electrical Fire Safety
Electrical fires are more common than you may think, and they can be extremely dangerous for your family and your home. A minor electrical issue can lead to a severe fire damage event. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford wants to remind you to inspect your electrical wiring and ensure that there are no issues that can cause a fire. Some of these issues include flickering lights, hot outlets or plugs, or technical problems with your system.
- Ensure that your wiring is properly installed.
- Contact a licensed electrician to inspect and repair any electrical issues.
- Do not overuse outlets or extension cords.
- Only plug one heat-producing appliance into an outlet at a time.
- Keep appliances unplugged when not in use.
- Never use broken or incorrect plugs, outlets or circuits.
- Do not run cords under doorways or flammable materials such as carpets.
If an electrical fire does break out, there are some ways you can combat the flames. Turn off the electrical device if possible and your power supply. Small electrical fires can be extinguished using baking soda. You can also use a Class C Fire Extinguisher, which is specifically designed for fires caused by electrical equipment.
Electrical fires can occur when we least expect them, so it is critical to inspect your home for issues and prevent such a disaster. Should you experience fire damage of any extent, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford can help! We offer 24/7 emergency services for major fire events, and we also can clean and restore any size property no matter the extent of the damage.
Fall Bonfire Safety
Fall is a great season for many reasons, one of those being the popular bonfires that we share with family and friends. While this pastime is loved by many, we want to remind you to be safe while attending your fire so that the fun can continue.
- Do not light a bonfire during an extremely windy night as this can cause the sparks and flames to travel onto a structure.
- Never leave the fire unattended and be aware of sudden flareups or sparks.
- Always keep a hose or other water source nearby in case the fire begins to spread uncontrollably.
- Do not burn any flammable chemicals. Aerosol cans and products such as paint should not be burned since they can cause a large fire quickly as well as create unsafe fumes.
- Add wood and debris to the bonfire gradually in order to contain the fire and keep control of the flames.
- When your bonfire is over, ensure that the ashes are cooled down and cover the area with water.
We hope that you are enjoying this time of year and staying safe. Fire damage can occur in the most unexpected ways, and bonfires can be very dangerous. Following these precautions will help to eliminate the risk of a bonfire disaster.
Should you experience any type of fire damage, please give us a call at 610-268-8620. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford offers immediate services to those affected by fire damage. Whether your home requires a simple soot cleaning or a full restoration and reconstruction of your property, we are here to help make things right and “Like it never even happened.”
Fire Safety for Household Candles
With winter approaching, candles are a common item used in many households. These open flames are a cause of fire damage in many homes, particularly in December. As we begin to ignite these warm and scented items in our homes, please remember to practice the proper safety precautions to help keep you and your family safe.
- Be sure to blow out any candles in use before you leave the room or go to bed. According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than one third of home fires caused by a candle began in a bedroom.
- Candles should be at least one foot away from anything that can catch flames, including clothing and curtains.
- Keep candles and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Place your candles on a sturdy and clutter-free surface.
- Do not let a candle burn down to the candle holder.
- During a power outage, use flashlights instead of candles to eliminate a fire hazard.
Following these safety guidelines will help to eliminate the risk of fire damage in your home. Should you experience fire, smoke or soot damage, the fire restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford are always prepared to help! We offer 24/7 emergency services for cleaning and restoring any size fire disaster. For more information, give us a call at 610-268-8620!
Fall Fire Safety
The fall season brings seasonal traditions and some adjustments to our daily routines as the weather declines. With these changes come some unwanted risks including fire hazards in our homes. Below, we list some preventative measures you can take now in order to prepare for the colder seasons.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. This process should be completed on an annual basis, and the beginning of a new season is the perfect time to ensure your home is safe and prepared for potential emergencies.
- Check your heaters and HVAC systems for signs of failure and damage. Heating systems pose a significant threat of fire damage during the fall and winter months, so preparation and HVAC system inspections are critical in order to eliminate the risk of fire or lack of heat in your home. Any space heaters should be also be placed away from items that pose a risk such as clothing.
- Fireplaces should be inspected annually to ensure they do not pose a risk, and combustible materials should be kept a safe distance away.
- Clear your roof and gutters of debris that can collect and pose a risk if ignited.
- Do not leave a fire of any kind unattended.
With the colder months approaching, the risk of a fire becomes higher than ever. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford would like to remind you to be safe and to practice these safety precautions this fall and winter. Along with many other preventative actions you can take, these steps are critical in helping to keep you, your family and your home safe.
If your home does experience a fire damage event of any size, our team is here for immediate assistance. Our fire restoration professionals can handle the entire restoration and reconstruction process for you in order to help ease the stress that often comes with these types of disasters. For more information, give us a call at 610-268-8620.
Great Progress for Kennett Square Businesses after Fire Damage
This was just the beginning of our services performed at the New Garden Plaza II. We are still hard at work at this commercial center.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is hard at work with continuing to help restore a couple of our local commercial centers after the devastating fires they suffered this year. Both fires broke out in Kennett Square and the businesses affected had suffered severe damages. Our crew, however, has come a long way and these buildings are strongly progressing towards a new beginning.
One of the commercial centers that we are currently helping to restore is the Willowdale Town Center. After a fire broke out in early January and had affected three of our local businesses, we rushed to the scene immediately to help. The buildings have changed drastically for the better since then. We recently completed sealing, demo, and odor containment for the Sovana Bistro and Nicholas Anthony Salon and Day Spa. In addition, we are happy to announce that the once-collapsed roof of the building has now been replaced with the help of another reconstruction company.
Our fire restoration team is also moving along quickly at the New Garden Plaza II. This fire occurred last month and affected all six businesses in the business center. We have been dedicated to restoring the damages since day one, and we have stayed busy with packing out and cleaning the damaged content, pulling insulation and performing demolition to some of the affected areas of the structure.
Reconstruction will now begin, and the entire roof of the business center will be replaced and restored in a few short weeks. There will be many other improvements to the building, including new walls, floors, and ceilings. Electrical and plumbing will be restored as well.
We are thrilled to be making great progress, and hope to have these great businesses back up and running soon! For more information on our fire restoration and reconstruction services for your home or business, please give us a call at 610-268-8620. We offer 24/7 emergency services for fire and water damage in our local community.
Commercial Fire Restoration for Three Businesses
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford recently received a call from one of our local fire chiefs to help restore a commercial building damaged by a large fire at the Willowdale Town Center in Kennett Square. The fire drastically damaged the building, which contains four businesses.
The fire began around 2:00 AM and unfortunately destroyed a large portion of the Sovana Bistro, the Nicholas Anthony Salon and Day Spa as well as a neighboring business, Donze & Donze. Our crews were on site immediately to board up the businesses. Once the affected areas were boarded up and the property owners were ready to move forward, we were then asked to complete fire restoration and to clean the damaged contents as well. This was an extremely dangerous fire, and we had to be cautious of the roof of the Bistro, which eventually collapsed from the extensive fire damage.
This has been a long process for all parties, and our restoration team is still hard at work to repair the damages. Although it will be a long road for these businesses to fully get back on their feet due to the extent of the destruction, we will keep working to make the fire “Like it never even happened!"
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is proud to offer fire restoration services for our local community. We answer the call for help immediately so that the proper safety measures and actions can be taken starting at the first hour of the loss. Contact us today to learn more!
Fire Extinguisher Cleaning at a Local University
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford responded to fire damage at a local university after a box was burned and put out by a fire extinguisher. The dust and smoke from the extinguisher left extensive residue and damage behind.
This call came in after business hours, but we are always here to help. Our fire restoration professionals responded immediately to clean and restore the affected areas in order to keep the institution running without downtime for the next school day. Our team used our specialized equipment and techniques to remove all signs of smoke and fire extinguisher dust from the affected areas. We then cleaned and disinfected the floor and surrounding areas as well as ensured no fire odors were left behind. After a few hours, this area of the school was back to normal.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is ready to respond at a moment’s notice to fire damage events for local homes and businesses. We are proud to help make any fire disaster “Like it never even happened.”
Fire Safety When Cooking
Cooking is a leading cause of household fires in the United States. This makes it critical to use precautions when preparing meals for you and your family. With the holidays getting closer, this is more important than ever.
To keep you and your family safe, follow these cooking safety measures outlined by the National Fire Protection Association.
- When cooking, always stay in the kitchen and do not leave food unattended.
- Stay alert and focused when cooking to avoid the risk of injury.
- Use a timer to ensure food does not burn or simmer. Check the stove or oven regularly.
- Keep flammable materials away from the stove and oven, such as towels and oven mitts.
- Wear clothing that will not come in contact with heat sources.
- Children should stay at least three feet away from cooking areas including hot food and liquids that can cause burns.
Following these safety measures will eliminate the risk of a cooking fire in your home and keep you and your family safe. If you experience any type of smoke, soot or fire damage, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford will be there to help! We restore any size fire disaster, including cooking fires for our local communities. Call us today at 610-268-8620.
Fire Prevention for Your Business
We are happy to help clean and restore areas such as this after fire damage. This photo was taken after a large commercial fire.
When it comes to your business, it is important to be prepared for a fire damage event. Preparation plays a significant role in preventing such an emergency and in keeping you and your employees unharmed.
A fire can impact your business in many ways, including smoke and soot damage, power outages and loss of important files. These factors can extensively affect your business’s ability to function. Therefore, it is critical to check for risks in your own building and prevent as well as fix any issues.
- Dispose of all paper and files you do not need. Combustible materials such as this can easily help a fire to spread.
- If you have any flammable liquids, ensure all containers are sealed. Any spills should be cleaned immediately.
- Clean equipment regularly. If dusty equipment heats up, this is a fire risk. Ensure that your employees are properly trained in the use of equipment.
- Inspect for damaged electrical equipment, and do not overload power sockets.
These risk factors are some of the most common found in many office buildings. By taking the necessary actions in identifying and preventing risks, you will create a much safer environment for you and your employees.
Fire damage can be overwhelming when it comes to your business, and you may not know where to start. The fire restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford are always here to help, no matter how large or small the disaster. We take pride in restoring local businesses from an emergency quickly and efficiently.
Fire Damage at a Local Organization
This is one of the areas at the Kennett Food Cupboard that we were happy to clean and restore.
After the Kennett Food Cupboard experienced an electrical fire, this local organization called SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford to help clean and restore the property for them. Our fire restoration professionals visited the property immediately to help.
The fire damage was so extensive that they were forced to close as well as dispose of 50% of their food supplies that are given to those in need. Luckily, our local community has supported this local business in an amazing way through donations.
Our team is finishing up the cleaning process this week in order to ensure that the doors of this organization can reopen by the end of the week. Like much of our local community, we’re happy we were able to help!
SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is here to help when it comes to a fire damage event for your home or business. If you experience a fire, water or mold disaster, we will be ready to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Fire Prevention Week
Fire Prevention Week is a reminder to protect yourself and your property from a fire disaster.
Fire prevention week is October 6th-12th. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford has helped to restore many homes and businesses in our local area after a fire. These situations can be very devastating, so it is critical to protect yourself and your property from such a disaster.
The most effective way to prevent a fire is to identify and remove fire hazards. Hazards to be aware of include a collection of dust, electrical equipment, and flammable liquids and vapors.
Be sure to keep your property clean. Check that your electrical equipment is working properly and that there are no power issues that can lead to a fire. In addition, cooking is a leading cause of fires. When cooking, it is important not to leave an oven or stove unattended.
You should have a fire extinguisher in your home and one on every floor if you own a business. Test the batteries in your smoke detectors regularly and replace them every ten years. You should also have a first aid kit and an evacuation plan in case of emergencies.
These steps can decrease your chance of a fire drastically as well as help in the event of such a disaster. If you experience smoke, soot or fire damage, our fire restoration professionals can help reverse the destruction. SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford is prepared to respond to any size fire disaster at a moment’s notice.
Fire Safety Tips
Fires are nothing to take lightly, and our restoration professionals know that better than most. We see all sizes of fire disasters in our local area that range from smoke issues to complete property reconstruction. Most of us don’t think about these disasters when it comes to our own homes, but it’s important to be prepared in the event of such an emergency.
Below, The American Red Cross outlines some fire safety tips that are critical to follow before, during and after a fire.
- Install smoke alarms on every floor including bedrooms.
- Test these smoke alarms once a month and change batteries when needed.
- Create and practice a fire emergency plan with your family.
- Get out of the building and call for help. Do not go back inside.
- Do not open doors that are warm.
- Do not use an escape route where smoke is largely present. If exiting through smoke is your only option, stay low and under the smoke.
- If you can’t escape, keep the doors closed and place a wet towel under the door and call 9-1-1. Open a window to signal for help.
- Call 9-1-1. If you have been burned, be sure to cool and cover burns to lower the risk of injury.
- If you are seriously injured, you should visit a hospital immediately.
- Let others know that you are safe.
- Do not enter the home until local authorities say it is safe to do so.
Following these fire safety tips will ensure you and your family’s safety in the event of a fire. If you experience a fire, SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford can help! We are highly trained in fire restoration and are prepared for any size disaster. Contact us today to learn more!
Smoke Dangers in Your Home
Often, it’s the smoke that can do more harm than the flames when a fire occurs in a home. If not properly taken care of, smoke can be left to damage the contents and surfaces of your property.
Effects of Smoke
Smoke can cause discoloration as well as leave a lingering odor throughout the space. If left untreated, the smoke can cause further damage to the home’s contents. Electronics, furniture, clothing and even walls and ceilings can all be damaged. Although the fire is gone, this substance creates a massive problem for you and your home.
To reduce the damages to your home after a fire, open a window to release the smoke from the property. Turn off any ceiling fans, air conditioners or heating units to prevent the smoke from spreading throughout the home. Do not attempt to clean the smoke off of surfaces as doing so can lead to more damage if improperly handled.
Smoke can lead to a large problem in your home, but SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford can take care of the damage for you. Our fire restoration professionals are equipped with the proper equipment and techniques to restore your home to preloss conditions.
Deep Frying Turkey Precautions
With Thanksgiving around the corner, it is important to remember fire safety when it comes to preparing your turkey for your family. At SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford, we want everyone to have a happy and safe holiday. With the help of the U.S. Fire Administration, we’ve put together helpful tips on how to prevent a fire loss when deep frying your turkey.
- Be aware of your surroundings and place the turkey fryer on a sturdy surface in order to prevent it from easily tipping over.
- Do not overfill the pot with cooking oil, since doing so will cause the oil to spill out or splatter when the turkey is placed in the pot. This can lead to a fire if the cooking oil reaches a hot burner.
- Control the temperature to prevent the deep fryer from overheating the oil.
- Be cautious when handling the pot as it can get extremely hot.
Deep frying a turkey can be dangerous, but your home will remain safe from harm if you are cautious about the problems that can arise. If your cooking goes awry, contact SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford for any fire or smoke damages to your property. We can help make your disaster “Like it never even happened."
Fireplace Maintenance Tips
One of our customers in Gap, Pennsylvania called the fire restoration experts at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford after the logs in his gas fireplace caused smoke and soot to be released into the home. Our highly trained specialists assessed the issue, discovering that the carpet, blinds, furniture and duct system had been damaged, and that the smoke had left behind an odor.
Fireplace Safety Tips
While our fire restoration experts were able to successfully clean and restore the home and its contents as well as eliminate the odor, there are some actions you can take to avoid this inconvenience from happening in your home.
- Clean your gas logs and fireplace regularly.
- Be sure to open the flue damper so that the flue does not get clogged. This will ensure that smoke and soot do not build up around or inside the fireplace.
- Ensure that your gas logs are safely positioned.
To learn more about how to prevent fireplace disasters in your home, contact the fire restoration professionals of SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford at (610) 268-8620. We’ll restore your home to preloss conditions “Like it never even happened.”
When Lightning Strikes
A resident of Christiana was in disbelief when this summer, their house was struck by lightning, setting the home on fire and collapsing the roof into the second floor. While firefighters were able to put out the flames and help save the contents inside, the destruction to the home was extreme. Luckily, the fire restoration experts at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford were able to restore the home to its original structure inside and out.
Lightning Strike Safety
At SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford, we see unique disasters like this catastrophe every day so it’s a good idea to know what to do if lightning strikes your home.
- If you are home at the time of a lightning strike, evacuate the property immediately and call 911. The fire department will inspect your property for any signs of damage.
- Wait until the fire department informs you that it is safe to enter your home before doing so.
- Contact your insurance company. Keep detailed records of any damaged expensive purchases such as electronic devices as well as on what you spend repairing any items in your home, so you can be reimbursed.
- Schedule an electrician to inspect and repair any damages to your wiring.
Should you experience fire damage caused by a lightning strike or other source, the fire restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford can help. Our crews are equipped with the proper expertise and resources to help make any size disaster “Like it never even happened.”
What is a Puffback?
Destruction to your home can be caused by conditions we may not expect such as a puffback. A puffback is when smoke and soot are released from a furnace. When a furnace is leaking oil and doesn’t ignite when it should, the oil vapors eventually build up and cause an explosion of soot to blow through the furnace and into the air very quickly. The carbon in the soot then strikes other sources of soot, causing carbon chains which take the look of cobwebs in the corners of your walls, ceilings and doorways.
To prevent puffbacks, furnaces should be cleaned every year. Look for signs of oil leaks such as black soot on the furnace, walls or ceiling or unfamiliar noises that are made at the beginning of the burn cycle along with after the cycle has completed. These signs indicate that the oil is not burning properly. It’s also a good idea to look for debris in the flue vent connector.
Since incorrectly cleaning puffbacks can cause smearing, streaking, or damage to your walls, the job should always be done by a professional. Should you experience a puffback in your home, call the cleaning and restoration experts at SERVPRO of Kennett Square/Oxford at (610) 268-8620 and we’ll make it "Like it never even happened.”
Don't Lose Your Business To Fire Damage
Call SERVPRO For Fast, Friendly Fire Remediation Services
The word “fire” strikes fear in the hearts of most people and for good reason. Whether it’s your home or business it can bring life, as you know it, to a screeching halt.
If your business or commercial property caught on fire, don't panic. Instead, call the professionals of SERVPRO® of Kennett Square/Oxford and let us start cleaning up immediately. Acting right now is the key to limiting damages and expediting the restoration process, and choosing our team of industry specialists is the secret to attaining the sophisticated services you deserve. All of our IICRC-certified technicians will work with diligence and determination to get your commercial property back in pristine condition, so call us now at (610) 268-8620 to attain your free estimate.
Knowing which steps to take in the face of a commercial fire can help prevent you from becoming anxious, losing money, and undergoing extensive property damages. To handle fire damage successfully and speedily, implement the following four tips:
1. Call The Insurance Company Immediately.
Be sure that you call your insurance company once the fire is out. This step is important because your insurance agent will work with you to file a claim and determine how much coverage you'll attain for the commercial damages.
2. Contact A Fire Remediation Expert.
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your business may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts.
SERVPRO of Kennett Square / Oxford specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your business to pre-fire condition. Don't ever attempt to handle any of the cleanups, drying, or restoration processes on your own. Doing so could put you in peril of injury and illness.
3. Assemble Your Records.
In addition to contacting a fire remediation expert, make sure that you assemble your business's essential records. You'll want to have this information with you when you start working with your insurance company. To guarantee that you can have all of your files ready in a safe place, make a point to buy a fireproof safe where they can be stored.
4. Get Permission To Reenter The Building.
Always ask the fire department or another local authority whether you can reenter your building. In some cases, a fire can weaken the structural integrity of the commercial property and make it subject to collapse. This is why you need to assure that reentry is safe for you and your employees.